No Cost Energy Savings Tips
The following no cost energy saving tips are a great check-list to ensure you're using energy efficiently.
- Turn off everything not in use -- lights, computers, etc.
- Avoid "phantom load" by unplugging appliances such as TVs and DVD players, or chargers for electronics like cell phones and hand-held games, which still consume power when plugged in but not turned on.
- Reduce the time spent with your doors and windows open when you are heating or air conditioning.
- In the winter, let the sun shine in by opening window coverings. Be sure to close them at night.
- Lower your daytime thermostat in the winter, maintaining 68 to 70 degree Fahrenheit temperature.
- Throw an extra blanket on the bed and lower your nighttime winter thermostat setting.
- Increase daytime thermostat in the summer, maintaining a 78 to 80 degree Fahrenheit temperature.
- Inspect, clean or change furnace filters once a month.
- Wait until you have a full load to start the dishwasher and clothes washer.
- Use pots and pans that fit the burners - small pans on small burners.
- Use countertop-cooking appliances when possible. A toaster oven or microwave will cost less to operate than heating a large oven.
- Keep light fixtures clean. Dust can obstruct light output by as much as 25 percent.