Jeffrey Energy Center - 1857 MW - Coal
Jeffrey Energy Center Facts
- Location: St. Marys, Kansas.
- Acres: 10,500 Acres (7,700 leased to area farmers) Jeffrey Energy Center Wildlife Area.
- Plant Size: Largest plant in Kansas.
- Ownership: Westar Energy 92%; Great Plains, Inc. 8%.
- Construction: Construction began in 1974. Unit 1 began operation in 1978, unit 2 in 1980 and unit 3 in 1983.
- Fueled by low-sulfur coal.
- Powder River Basin Coal Users Group Plant of the Year in 2003.
- In 2007, became the first plant in our four state region to receive the OSHA VPP Star Designation.
- Uses up to 36,000 tons of coal per day. 9,000,000 - 10,000,000 tons per year.
- Uses 24,000 gallons of water per minute. 29,000,000 gallons per day and 10,700,000,000 gallons per year.
Existing SO2 scrubbers have been upgraded from the original design of 60% removal to systems capable of removing more than 95%. All three upgraded scrubbers are in service and are meeting or exceeding our emission rate expectations.
- Started: Third Quarter 2007
- Completed: Second Quarter 2009
- Investment of $435 million dollars
- Sulfur dioxide (SO2) emissions reduced by 95+%
- Co-benefit mercury emissions reduced by 25+%
- Co-benefit particulate matter reduced by 20+%
- ~1,343 tons of structural steel.
- ~475 tons of grating, handrails, platforms, etc.
- 10,497 cubic yards of concrete used
- 850 contractors on site at one time
- More than 2,800,000 total man-hours worked
After completion of the scrubber project, a whitish plume can be seen coming out of each stack. The plume is water vapor.
Low NOx Systems
To date, two systems have been installed (Units 1 and 3) with the last unit scheduled for installation in the spring of 2011.
Future Environmental Upgrades
January 25, 2010
Westar Energy to invest in environmental upgrades, proposed as settlement of litigation
Westar Energy, Inc. (NYSE:WR) today announced a settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice pending lawsuit over allegations regarding environmental air regulations. The settlement was filed with the federal court, seeking the court's approval.
Read the announcement | Appendix A | Consent Decree | Questions and Answers