Security deposits may be requested at the time of application for service or at any time thereafter if one of the following criterion is met:
- Customer has no credit history with Westar Energy.
- Customer has not met 10 out of 12 on time payments.
- Customer has an undisputed, unpaid bill.
- Customer has interfered with, tampered with or diverted service.
- Customer who fails to pay an undisputed bill before the delinquency date for three consecutive billing periods, one of which is at least 30 days past the due date of the bill..
- Customer has been disconnected for non-payment two or more times within the most recent 12 month period.
- Customer has defaulted on a payment agreement two or more times within the most recent 12 month period.
- Customer has tendered two or more insufficient fund payments within the most recent 12 month period.
- The deposit will equal two times the projected average bill for a 12-month period.
(For example: The average monthly bill is 75.00. The deposit = 150.00)
- The deposit amount may be reassessed or modified after three consecutive late payments.
- Any customer that has been documented diverting service may be charged an additional deposit based on usage for one month.
- Cash deposit - Cash deposits may be paid in four equal monthly installments.
- Letter of Credit - For first time customers only. Credit references from a previous utility may be used to establish credit worthiness. The credit reference cannot be older than 12 months from the date received and must reflect at least 12 months history with ten on-time payments. The other utility may be another electric utility, gas or water.
- Automatic Bill Payment Plan - For first time customers only.The Automatic Bill Payment Plan offers the convenience of having your energy bill payment deducted automatically from your checking or savings account on the due date. Enroll online or print and mail a form.
- Letter of guaranty - A written guarantee by a responsible third party, who has good credit as a customer with the company, may be used in lieu of a cash deposit. To qualify as a third-party guarantor, an individual must not have a deposit on his or her own account. The Contract of Guarantee transfers to a new address should the customer move.
Letters of credit may be faxed to 316-261-6615
Letters of guaranty must be mailed to:
PO Box 208
Wichita, Ks 67201-0208
- The deposit plus interest is returned when service is discontinued. Any unpaid bills will be deducted from this amount before the refund is issued. If moving, the deposit will transfer to the new address.
- Deposits will be credited back to the account after 10 of 12 on time payments.
A deposit is not automatically used to cover an overdue bill and will not prevent disconnection of service.
Simple interest is paid on cash deposits and applied as a credit to the account once per year. The interest rate is set each year by the Kansas Corporation Commission. The annual interest rate for 2013 is .18 percent. The annual interest rate for 2012, was .12 percent.
Any unclaimed deposit refunds are sent to the state of Kansas. Customers may phone the Unclaimed Property Division (800) 432-0386.