The Westar Energy Green Team is a group of employee and retiree volunteers that takes on environmental projects across Kansas.
Completing 50 to 70 projects per year on weekends and evenings, the Green Team collaborates with conservation groups, agencies and schools in enhancing and fostering an understanding of the Kansas environment.
Since 1989, the Green Team has:
- Planted tens of thousands of trees
- Restored prairie by planting native grasses and forbs
- Removed invasive trees
- Partnered on environmental education publications
- Erected small scale wind turbines for educational purposes
- Built trails, wetlands, bridges, boat ramps, and look-outs to enhance access and educational opportunities.
The Green Team welcomes project ideas and partnering opportunities. Please contact Green Team coordinator, Ben Postlethwait, by email or call him at (785) 575-1706