Cold Weather Rule
The Kansas Corporation Commission has established the Cold Weather Rule for Kansas residential customers who cannot fully pay their winter electric bill. The Cold Weather Rule will be in effect from November 1 to March 31.
For residential customers, the Cold Weather Rule generally prohibits any disconnection of service when the local National Weather Service forecasts that the temperature will drop below 35 degrees or will be in the mid-30s or colder within the following 48 hours.
In order to avoid having your electric service disconnected when the temperature is forecasted to drop below 35 degrees or to reconnect service regardless of temperature, a customer shall comply with the following provisions. To qualify for benefits under the Cold Weather Rule, a customer shall:
- Inform Westar Energy if you are unable to pay the bill in full.
- Provide enough information to allow Westar Energy to make a payment agreement.
- Make an initial 1/12 payment of the total energy charges, plus the full amount of any required disconnect and reconnect fees, plus any applicable deposit. This agreement will allow the customer's unpaid balance to be divided and paid in equal amounts over a period of 11 months. The customer may pay bills during the payment agreement period under an average payment plan in addition to the portion of the unpaid balance each month.
- Apply for federal, state, local or other assistance funds for which the customer is eligible.
To ensure our customers' safety through the cold weather months, if customers have payment difficulties, we will:
- Inform you of organizations where funds are available to assist with payment of utility bills.
- Make a telephone attempt and personal contact with you one day prior to termination of service to discuss your situation. If we are unable to personally contact you, our employee will leave a disconnect message on your door the day prior to termination.
- Inform you of the Third Party Notification Plan.
If you have questions regarding the Cold Weather Rule, contact Westar Energy's Customer Relations Center toll-free at 1-800-383-1183.