Tree Planting Checklist
Trees can enhance your home with colorful foliage, graceful form and cooling shade. But it's important to know the right trees and where to plant them.
To achieve the greatest value from your landscaping investment, you'll want to discuss the following questions with your nursery:
- Are you planting the tree for shade? To block an undesirable view? To frame your house? To add more greenery to your yard?
- How large will the tree become? Will the tree still fit into your landscape scheme as it grows in width and height?
- What shape will the mature tree have - upright, round or spreading?
- What maintenance will the tree require?
- Will the tree be able to survive the local climate and soil?
- Is the wood of the tree strong or brittle? Does the tree have a deep or shallow root system?
- Is the tree susceptible to insects and disease?
- Will the tree add to the value of your property now and at maturity?
- Will the tree overhang or cause any inconvenience to neighbors?
- Are there any local ordinances forbidding the planting of certain trees or controlling what you can plant along a parking area?